McDowell County Schools Substitute Teachers
If you have any questions about MCS Substitute Teacher Program, please contact Robin Smith at (828) 652-4535, ext. 0 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum requirements for substitute teachers are:
- 18 years or older with a high school diploma or
- 18 years or older with a GED, plus 24 semester hours from an accredited community college or university - and
- Upon completion of the course you must pass a background check and complete and submit the appropriate employment forms, including a Health Examination Certificate.
The VIRTUAL substitute training is offered by the App-Garden University. There are many benefits to you as a substitute, such as the ability to train anytime and anywhere you have access to internet. It is so important that the school district keep you current on the board policies and procedures as well as giving you great tips and ideas for being a successful substitute teacher. Training is required of all substitutes in order for our district to meet compliance requirements.
Online Substitute Orientation Course
Once the purchase has been made, you may begin the course. You will also receive an email with the link to the training. Please note, an email address is required to log into these courses.
When your orientation certificate expires, complete the Renewal Training and print the renewal certificate. Also, please download and print the Substitute Data Sheet (at the bottom of this page) and return both to Robin at Central Office. IF you want to change your tax withholding information or you have changed banking institutions, please let Robin know.
Three orientation courses are available. You will choose one based on the following information.
- McDowell County Schools Substitute Teacher Orientation with Effective Substitute Training $49.00
This two-part course is intended for NEW substitute teachers who do not hold a teaching certificate or who are not Effective Teacher Training (ETT) certified. This course will provide orientation for one calendar year from date of completion and Effective Substitute Training (EST) certification for five (5) years from the date of completion.
- McDowell County Schools Substitute Teacher Orientation $39.00
This course is intended for NEW substitute teachers who hold a teaching certificate or who are Effective Teacher Training (ETT) certified. This course will provide orientation for one calendar year from date of completion.
- McDowell County Schools Substitute Teacher Renewal $19.00
This course will provide annual certification for RENEWING substitute teachers. ALL CURRENT substitute teachers will be required to successfully complete this annual certification by the expiration date of their current MCS Substitute Teacher Orientation Certificate. Renewing Substitute Teachers must bring a copy of their renewal certificate and data sheet (see below) to Robin Smith at Central Office.
Employment packets are to be completed at the end of the on-line course/s and returned to Robin Smith at Central Office (334 South Main Street, Marion, NC). Contact Robin at 828-652-4535 ext. 0 and an employee packet will be emailed to you or you may pick it up.
You will complete the background check at Central Office after you turn in the paperwork. Please bring teacher's certificate (if applicable), college transcripts (if applicable), social security card, void check, and driver's license with you.
Substitute teachers may not work until after their background check is completed AND employment paperwork is processed (6-8 business days).
Rate of Pay:
- Effective Teacher Training (ETT) certified or Effective Substitute Training (EST) certified with the certificate on file at Central Office: $83.00/day
- Certified teacher with their license on file at Central Office: $103/day
- One-half of the pay rates are paid for half days.