Welcome to Human Resources
The Human Resource Department provides the district with effective human resource management services that focus on our customers' needs. MCS support the strategic goals of the district by attracting, developing and retaining a diverse, qualified and capable workforce to provide high-quality educational services to all our students.
Brian Oliver, Executive Director of Administration
Nichole Lewis, Licensure/HR Support Specialist, Certified Services
Becky Smith, Executive Assistant, Non-Certified Services
Robin Smith, Receptionist, Substitutes, Background Checks
Information on how to work for McDowell County Schools
How to Check CEUs
- Click "Lookup My CEUs/UID
- Type in your Social Security Number
- Click "Lookup"
***Please Send ALL CERTIFIED CEU Certificates to MCS Licensure Specialist Nichole Lewis by Scanning or Sending through Inner School Mail.***
***Please send All NON-CERTIFIED CEU Certificates to Becky Smith***
Renewal and Reinstatement Guidelines
Licensure ensures that children in our school system are served by educators with the knowledge and skills to deliver a sound educational program. Licensure also assures that professional school personnel engages in ongoing staff development activities that help them continually improve the overall quality of Education in McDowell County Schools.
Employees of McDowell County Schools are required by the State Board of Education to hold an appropriate license for the subject, grade level, or assignment taught. It is important to note that licensure requirements are dictated by this state, and the Local Educational Agency (LEA) must comply with these regulations.
If you have not done so already, you are required to file your licensure application packet within 30 days of employment. The following items are required:
- Application for a North Carolina Teacher License
- Legible official transcript(s) that show the type of degree(s) you were awarded and the date awarded
- Certificates or licenses held in other states (a license in another state does not preclude your having to meet North Carolina requirements)
- Verification by Institution (To be completed by institution where any/all advanced degrees were received, i.e., masters, advanced, doctorate)
- NTE/PRAXIS Tests (If scores are not available, appropriate tests should be taken at the first available opportunity, but no later than March of the first year of employment.) For some core subject areas, the test will be required before you are eligible for a position.
- Verification of Experience
- Processing fee of $85 made payable to North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
It is critical that you complete your licensure requirements as early as possible. Licensure application packets can be downloaded from the State Department website at www.ncpublicschools.org.
Professional Educator's License Qualifications
Professional Educator's Initial Licenses are intended for teachers with 0-2 years of teaching experience and are valid for three years. To be issued a Professional Educator's Initial License, an individual must have:
- completed a state-approved teacher education program from a regionally accredited college or university, or
- completed another state's approved alternative route to licensure and earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college.
Upgrading Your License
To upgrade the educational levels of an existing license, you will need the following:
- An evaluation fee of $60.00.This can be paid by visiting the new online licensure website and completing the applicant information needed. It will then prompt you for payment. You may pay by personal check, money order, or certified check (made payable to the NC Department of Public Instruction) or by Visa or MasterCard. To pay by credit card, fill out the credit card payment form or enter information on the licensure website.
- Form V (Verification by Institution: Completion of Approved Education Program). This form is to be filled out by the Dean of Education or Licensure Officer of the college or university where you completed your advanced degree work.
- Transcripts of any degree not already on file in DPI's Licensure Section. Original transcripts must show the type of degree and the date it was awarded.
- Specialty area or subject assessment score if a Praxis test is required for the area being added. Individuals who complete an out-of-state education program may submit the application without a test score. You will be issued a temporary permit valid until June 30 of the school year in which the license is issued to meet testing requirements.
- Form E (Verification of K-12 Educator Experience) if you are also applying for experience credit. Submit a separate form for each employer.
***The evaluation fee for upgrading your license covers the applications for experience credit if the upgrade information and the experience application are sent together.***
To Change Your Name On Your Professional Educator's License:
Submit your request through the online licensure website and include the following:
- Form U
- Processing fee payable to the Department of Public Instruction
- Appropriate legal documents which verify the change (i.e. copies of: Marriage Certificate, Social Security Card, Driver's License.)
- Processing fee of $60.00
Why do you teach?
You chose the best profession in the world for a reason. Everyone has a favorite teacher that they remember from their childhood. Who was yours? What about that teacher made them stand out? Now think of yourself. Do you hold those same qualities? At McDowell County Schools, we are looking for bright, energetic, motivated, and dedicated teachers. We encourage teachers to use their imagination and ingenuity to bring subjects to life in ways students will always remember. Our Mission is to deliver excellence in education where students are engaged in collaboration, communication, and innovation so that they graduate ready to achieve success and positively shape the future. We want individuals who will be inspiring leaders in and out of the classroom, raise achievement for every student and will never settle for the status quo. We want teachers that students will remember and talk about for years to come. If you are ready to help prepare every child, every day, for a better tomorrow, click the following links for more information.