McDowell County Schools

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle

Residency License

Residency license allows qualified individuals to begin teaching while completing North Carolina licensure requirements.

Four "partners" are involved:

    • the individual
    • a recognized Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
    • the local education agency (LEA)
    • the Department of Public Instruction (DPI)

Fast Facts Chart - Lic Routes 11-19-18 by Nichole Lewis on Scribd

Eligibility for a Residency License requires that the prospective teacher:
  • Has earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university or college.
  • Has earned a 2.7 cumulative GPA on their degree. 
  • Has either completed 24 semester hours of coursework in the requested licensure area or passed the content area examination(s) required by N.C. State Board of Education for the requested licensure area.  
  • Is enrolled in a recognized EPP and;
  • Has completed preservice requirements prior to teaching. 
  • Has been offered employment by an LEA. 
  • An LEA employs the individual. Employment often occurs before the EPP affiliation. 
  • The individual affiliates with a state-approved EPP. 
  • Educator Preparation Programs:
  • The LEA will verify both employment and EPP admission to DPI through a form process when submitting for the residency license. 
  • The individual successfully completes all course work and testing as required by the EPP prior to the end of the third year of school employment. 
  • The individual is recommended for clear licensure by the EPP at that time. 
For additional information, please visit:


North Carolina Test Requirements

Find your licensure area by clicking the link below to determine which test you need to take and to see the minimum qualifying score. To learn more about a specific test, click the test title. Once you know your test(s), find out how to register for Praxis® tests and read the Praxis test retake policy.
Testing Website:
Alternative Licensure Programs:

Apply Now - ECU Online Partnership Teach by Nichole Lewis on Scribd

  • NCTeach is ECU’s online, fast-track model for lateral entry clearance. Five courses are delivered 100% online, all for just over $2000 at the in-state rate!

  • Applications are due March 1st and October 1st of each year
  • Designed for the following areas
    • MIDG Math, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts
    • High School Math, Science, Social Studies, English
    • K-12 Areas, like Art
    • Family and Consumer Science
    • Business and Marketing
    • Special Education - General Curriculum - Blended Cohort Only
  • This is a great way for a Classified Staff member to obtain a teaching degree while working.
  • The purpose of Partnership East is to provide students with access to high-quality degree-completion programs close to home. In turn, these community-based candidates are more likely to return to their home communities to teach after graduation. 
  • Students graduate with a four-year degree from East Carolina University (ECU) by completing the first two years of the program at any North Carolina community college followed by taking ECU courses online. Students graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in elementary education, middle grades education, or special education. 
  • A university employee is housed at each one of the consortia hub sites. The role of these individuals is to recruit prospective students, facilitate a successful transition to ECU, and advise current students
Pathway to Practice 


Supports teachers in North Carolina with a residency license/permit to teach in the following subject areas:

  • Mathematics (6-9 or 9-12)
  • Science (6-9 or 9-12)
  • English Language Arts (6-9 or 9-12)
  • Social Studies (6-9 or 9-12)
  • Elementary (K-6)
  • Special Education – General Curriculum (K-12)


Applicants must be hired on a Residency License (RL) or be eligible for a position on a Residency License. To be eligible for a position on a Residency License, a candidate must have the following:

  • A degree with a cumulative 2.70 or higher GPA
  • One of the following: a degree in your subject area, 24 hours in your subject area, or the passing licensure exam in your area

Program cost is $1,250 every 3 months. The total cost depends on how long it takes to complete (with an average cost of $4,800).
This program DOES NOT accept financial aid at this time.

Yes. Before students start the online modules, they will attend a Kickoff event with faculty members who will introduce them to the learning platform. This will be an all-day event on a Saturday. Students will be able to meet their instructors, administrators, and connect with fellow cohort member. Students in the program also submit an edTPA portfolio to Pearson testing services before completion of the program.

Both. You will receive an endorsement for your license from both the UNC School of Education and NC State College of Education.

If you have a Residency License, then at the successful completion of this program (including an edTPA and submission of your principal’s evaluation), you will be recommended for a full license by the UNC-Chapel HIll and NC State collaborative. NC State/UNC-Chapel Hill will recommend you, but you will need to go through the online system to initiate the clearing of your license.

Testing requirements:

Specific testing requirements for your licensure area can be found by clicking on one of the links below:

Elementary Education: (Look at Prospective Candidates for info)
                                        General Curriculum Math Subtest: Test Preparation Course
Pearson Test Prep - On-line Modules for Current Teachers
NC Education Modules are a self-paced module to complete.  It's intended to help out of state teachers and others prepare for the Pearson test.  Both the Math and Reading test preps are available. 
There is an on-line tutorial offered free from the state for the new Pearson Test.
Log into the Homebase Evaluation system and click on the "Professional Development" tab (see the picture). Then search for the name of the course below. They are a self-paced test and can serve as a start for your test preparation.  Please let your District Lead Mentor know how helpful you found the course. 

Pearson Test Prep
#247 Preparation for Foundation of Reading Licensure Exam: Self-Paced
#248 Preparation for the North Carolina General Curriculum Mathematics Subtest: Self-Paced